Creating an environment of patient and caregiver safety
Safe patient handling is a term that refers to policies and programs that use technology and techniques to allow caregivers to safely lift and move patients without causing injury or unnecessary physical stress.
Hill-Rom is committed to helping you reduce caregiver injury and improve patient outcomes through the use of proven technologies and processes to support better outcomes.
Visit the Clinical Resource Center to see Hill-Rom’s Safe Patient Handling educational resources including studies, articles and the Safe Transfers and Movement Program (STAMP) Toolkit.
- Nelson A, et al. Rehabil Nurs. 2008;33:33-43.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site. Nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses requiring days away from work, 2010 [press release]. November 9, 2011. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/osh2.pdf. Accessed 1/1/12.
- Nelson AL, ed. Patient Care Ergonomics Resource Guide: Safe Patient Handling and Movement. Tampa, FL: Veterans Administration Patient Safety Center of Inquiry; 2001.
- Smedley J, et al. Occup Environ Med. 1995;52:160-163.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system (WISQARS). http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html Accessed 12/7/11.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Web site. Hospital-acquired conditions. http://www.cms.gov/HospitalAcqCond/06_Hospital-Acquired_Conditions.asp. Accessed 1/3/12.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Web site. OSHA to focus on improving safety and health at nursing home facilities [press release]. November 9, 2011.http://osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=21192. Accessed 1/12/12.
- The Association of Safe Patient Handling Professionals Web site. American industrial hygiene association state legislative summary: ergonomics/safe patient handling. September 19, 2011. http://www.asphp.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ergonomics-SPH-Legislative-Update-09192011.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- Chhokar R, et al. Appl Ergon. 2005;36:223-229.
- Brophy MO, et al. AIHAJ. 2001;62:508-511.
- Zhuang Z, et al. Appl Ergon. 1999;30:285-294.
- Rauch K, et al. J Heathc Qual. 2009;31:36-42.
- The Joint Commission Web site. National patient safety goals effective January 1, 2012: home care accreditation program. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/NPSG_Chapter_Jan2012_OME.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- The Joint Commission Web site. National patient safety goals effective January 1, 2012: long term care accreditation program. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/NPSG_Chapter_Jan2012_LTC.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- Quigley P. Am Nurse Today. 2011;6:14-17.